'BAME Only' || Reverse Racism?

***Disclaimer: I'm brown***

About a month ago, I was searching for degree apprenticeships for a career in journalism, as you do, and I came across one particular apprenticeship which made me scratch my head a little...


The course was open to 'BAME or disabled' applicants only. (BAME = black, Asian & minority ethnic).

At first glance, this seems great - an opportunity for minority groups who are not very well-represented in the media to gain professional, industry experience - sounds good, right?!

But, me being me, I have a few problems with it:


1. Equality means everyone. Not just black people, not just women, not just deaf people. Everyone.

There was no other apprenticeship opportunity for white, non-minority, or able-bodied people. Notice something? Ah, yes - this does not cater for everyone!
I think it's amazing that this company are trying to help coloured and disabled people get into the media industry, but why are you limiting the opportunities of white and able-bodied people? Surely it isn't fair to prioritise minorities and completely disregard others, even if they have a passion for the subject - my white, able-bodied friend wants to go into journalism, but she can't apply for the apprenticeship. Isn't that unfair?



2. I used a similar anecdote in the post on 'Why I, a female, don't support the Feminist Movement': if two people are applying for a job, with the same degree, same experience, and from the same class background, but one is white and one is brown, who will get the job?


Answer: the brown person, because they are a minority.


People, no matter what their skin colour, should EARN their place in industries, not just get a free pass because of their ethnicity or minority status. The same applies to disabled people. However, more needs to be done to help disabled and/or coloured people to be able to apply for their preferred job with a chance of getting the role.

This would mean providing opportunities early on, such as in schools, sixth forms and colleges, for people to gain the necessary experience.


3. Additionally, I am quite offended that non-white people are being put in the same category as disabled individuals: my skin colour is not a disability, and I do not want you to treat me like I have special needs, just because my ancestors were born in a country with a warmer climate. The fact that dark-skinned people are getting racially abused, and even killed, just because they are from a different piece of floating rock on this giant floating rock - that's like massacring everyone born in the UK because it rains all the time (it's been raining for 4 consecutive days should I be worried??)


4. Whilst we're on the subject of so-called 'reverse racism', I want to say that I don't think we can necessarily call this minor prejudice racism, as there is, without doubt, no threat to life to the white and able-bodied people who don't get the apprenticeship.


How many times have white people been slaughtered or abused for their skin colour or race?


...


Now, how many people have been slaughtered or abused for not being white?
Well... I'll leave you to work it out.




I am not a diversity statistic. I am a human, and to me, my skin colour is irrelevant as my star sign.


~~~


Do you think people of colour should be prioritised over white people when it comes to apply for jobs or apprenticeships? Is this unfair, or is it an honest attempt to create a more diverse workplace?


Whatever your thoughts, I hope that, as a society, we can come to a point where skin colour no longer defines us, or puts limits on where we can go and what we can do.


- R


Edit: the apprenticeship has been removed, and there are now two separate courses: one for BAME applicants, and one for disabled applicants!

Comments

Post a Comment